Founded October 18, 1914, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church was the first Episcopal Church in Lake Worth Beach. Like any church or organization, St. Andrew’s saw periods of growth and prosperity, as well as periods of trial and tribulation. On September 16, 1928, a hurricane destroyed the church and one young choir member perished from the storm. The church was rebuilt, and by 1947 it membership had skyrocketed. Major renovations and additions were added to the property. Over the years, the leaders and people of St. Andrew’s have established a strong outreach ministry including strong affiliations with Integrity Palm Beach, which serves the LGBTQ community, P.E.A.C.E. and the Lake Worth Beach Interfaith Network. The church also hosts a variety of special events and guest lecture to address social justice and faith issues of concern to our community. The history of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church conveys the spirit of God’s people doing His work.
Our Stained Glass Windows
The beautiful stained glass windows in St. Andrew’s Church are memorial gifts from parishioners and friends. The project to replace frosted glass windows with stained glass artwork began in 1975 and was completed in 1979. Each window contains a pair of narrative images: on the left is a traditional depiction of an element of the Gospel. On the right, that story is reflected in a depiction of the contemporary sacramental practices of the Episcopal church. The windows are unique, in that actual people from the parish are represented in several of the panels.
When you visit St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, take a tour of the windows. Booklets with detailed descriptions of each window are available in the narthex.
In the Christian faith, Columbaria represent a 2,000-year-old tradition. In the early days of the Church the remains of departed Christians were laid to rest in the churches themselves, with the desire to keep the remains of a loved one nearer to the Lord and to those with whom the departed had worshipped during their physical lifetimes.
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church maintains this sacred tradition with its Columbarium, or Memorial Garden. This is a special place where the ashes of departed loved ones can rest in peace and security, and visitors will be surrounded by the beauty of nature and the comfort of God’s unending Grace through Christ, our Lord.
If you would like to know more about the Memorial Gardens at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, please contact the Church office at (561) 582-6609 and speak with a clergy or staff member.